I must admit that I was very upset by the fact that Kate decided to marry Petruccio after so much fuss about being "against" love and keeping men away from her life. I was puzzled by her decision of from one scene to another and how she was ready to be with Petruccio.
I believe the reason why Kate seems submissive and 'tamed' at the end of the play is because after she got married to Petruccio she saw how Petruccio treated his servants. Petruccio was kicking, impatient, and yelling at his servants. This portrayal of Petruccio we do not see when he first talks to Kate, and how he is acting after the marriage it is exactly how Kate was before they got married.
I do not think that it was Petruccio who "tamed" her. I think she understood by herself that aperson can be "ugly" by being mad all the time and kicking, and screaming, and hating everyone. Petruccio was the mirror that Kate needed in her life...
Like one of Petruccio's servant's said: "He kills her in her own humor" (IV.I.160) What Kate used to do/behave and now that Petruccio does and kate observes it is not pleasurable for her anymore, she becomes more self conscious about who she used to be.
Because Kate feels identified with Petruccio (without confessing this to Petruccio) she knows how to 'deal' with him.
Then why did Bianca refused to do what the men said? And it was Kate did? I think Kate always loved doing the unexpected...and like her speech, it was unexpected, cathing the audience by surprise. After all, it is a comedy.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario